Barack Obama: Son of Promise, Child of Hope – by Nikki Grimes, illustrated by Bryan Collier (Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers, $16.99, ages 5-10). Barry, as he was once known, always had hope. President Obama’s life story is recounted by a single mother whose hopes for her young son David are the same as any mother’s. We learn about Obama’s journey from Hawaii to Indonesia to Kenya, from New York to Chicago and ultimately Washington, D.C., meet his blended family and all the inspirational individuals he met along the way, and see how his path was molded from a very early age. Share this book with your children or let them enjoy it on their own. The artwork is thoughtful and the text simple, yet substantial. There are more reviews about American Presidents in our exclusive web only Presidents Day and Black History Month book roundup.
Subscribe to Good Reads With Ronna
Find Book Reviews by Searching for Title, Author, Illustrator or Publisher.
Enter Your Book Category Here ie: Mystery, Picture Book, Young Adult, etc.
- When a Pachyderm Plops Down In Traffic – Poe Won’t Go
- Swing, a Novel-in-Verse by Kwame Alexander with Mary Rand Hess
- Seasonal and Celebratory – We Are Grateful: Otsaliheliga by Traci Sorell
- A Fun Case of Mistaken Identity in Horse Meets Dog by Elliott Kalan
- Halloween Horror – City of Ghosts, Ghoulia and Sam Wu is Not Afraid of Ghosts