If you’ve had enough with fairy tales, you’ll love introducing your children to Seriously, Cinderella is So Annoying!: The Story of Cinderella as Told by the Wicked Stepmother ($5.95, Picture Window Books, ages 5 and up) written by Trisha Speed Shaskan. Simply put, this is a mockery of Cinderella’s perfect image. From the viewpoint of the jealous stepmother, Cinderella is treated well by every member of the family, but she is just too chatty and oh, so annoying. I like this book, not only for its humor, but also because it is an original take on a tried and true fairy tale. After reading and being told so many quintessential princess stories, this book makes young readers think in fresh, new ways. The cartoon-like illustrations by Gerald Guerlais are colorful and inviting too. In the back of the book the author suggests that readers read the original Cinderella story and compare it to this one. Any book that is funny and encourages children to think outside the box (or should I say castle?) is a winner.
Subscribe to Good Reads With Ronna
Find Book Reviews by Searching for Title, Author, Illustrator or Publisher.
Enter Your Book Category Here ie: Mystery, Picture Book, Young Adult, etc.
- Swing, a Novel-in-Verse by Kwame Alexander with Mary Rand Hess
- Seasonal and Celebratory – We Are Grateful: Otsaliheliga by Traci Sorell
- A Fun Case of Mistaken Identity in Horse Meets Dog by Elliott Kalan
- Halloween Horror – City of Ghosts, Ghoulia and Sam Wu is Not Afraid of Ghosts
- Boo! – The Best Halloween Books Roundup 2018